Operations Management – Assignment
A successful operation is an essential for organization to compete and survive. An understanding of the main operational tasks is an essential starting point in this process.
Studying an organization of your choice at organizational level, or department level critically assess the operational methods and strategies adopted to provide the product(s) in a way that give(s) maximum satisfaction to the customers or clients.
A good answer will identify the criteria applied by the customer in assessing satisfaction i.e.the order-winning and order-qualifying criteria. You should
a) define the principal operations tasks to satisfy these criteria
b) analyze the process strategies and procedures employed to ensure that these tasks are carried out as effectively as possible.
The organization may not have an operations/production department defined in such terms,but it will still produce something for the use of somebody.
The report, excluding appendices, should be not more than3500 words in length. For yourguidance, it will consist of:
a) An introduction in which you describe your organization and what you and your
department’s contribution is to the organization.
b) Organization profile
c) Operations objectives, keeping in perspective the market, competition and the customers.
c) A detailed analysis of operational activities including different processes adopted (explaining their ability to meet range of operations objectives).
c) Also you should describe the process whilst explaining how and why it helpsor hinders in the achievement of the operations objectives i.e. its ability to supply a product
which meets the customer’s needs. This is the essential analysis that shows your ability toapply the module content to your experience.
d) Having analyzed the process, describe what changes you feel ought to be made –if any – and explain why these are necessary in terms of improving the ability to meet theoperations objectives. You may like to give some guidance on the feasibility of the changes,how they ought to be implemented, a cost benefit etc., where these are possible.
Your work will be assessed against the following criteria:
1. Knowledge – Your work should show knowledge of the module content.
2. Understanding – Your report should demonstrate an understanding of operations
3. Insight – Your report should show an ability to analyze the operation in the light of the
module content and your own reading.
4. Clarity – Your report should be well structured and clearly presented.
You should include a short list of references (Minimum 10 references which MUST include 7 from scientific journals) to support your observations and assertions.
This assignment is intended to give you an opportunity to show that you are capable of
applying your knowledge of operations management, not only in describing the issues faced by the organization, but also in explaining them and justifying your proposed actions to improve them. You are invited to review all the models and concepts that we have discussed.
Assignment Guidance Notes:
• Business Report Structure –3500 words +/- 10%
• Size 12 font, spacing 1.5, include word count., Times New Roman, Justified
• Any work with more 20 % similarity index will be assumed as FAIL.
1. A submission with 20% or higher similarity would be considered as FAIL. It is the responsibility of student to check and ensure least similarity.
2. Due to repeated events of students outsourcing the assignment (i.e. paying someone else to do the assignment), I reserve the right to call the student for an interview to confirm if the work is performed by him. Student’s failure to give satisfactory answers or defend his work would lead to F grade.
Operations Management – Assignment